Proverbs 31 woman has always been something that I read and think – right? I won’t be sewing my own clothes – I can never meet this standard of a woman.
Until recently…. No, I didn’t wake up today as SUPERwoman!
I realized that I had always looked at the Proverbs 31 woman comparing myself to her, this “perfect” woman, and seeing myself through eyes that could never measure up!
But..Today, I looked at Proverbs 31 in a new way. I saw it as if I WERE the Proverbs 31 woman. I rewrote it in my own “self-talk” as if I were already these things.
Really, I just started speaking to my future self. Even where I didn’t measure up to this standard, it was where I was going! Ladies, we may never arrive at having perfect performance. What’s important is that we start! Start what? Sewing? No! We just need to see ourselves through the eyes of whom God has made us.
We need to speak to our future!
Experts suggest that what behavior you expect from your child, you will get. Isn’t the same true for us? Low expectations breeds low performance.
Scripture says that we will eat the fruit of our lips. What are your lips speaking about you, your family, and your future? Are they filled with life and truth or death and lies?
You try it! Here is what I did:
- My husband and son-in-loves love Jesus and do not give not their strength to [loose] women, My daughters and I do not give our hearts or bodies to loose men – only to our husband’s! (Prov 31:2-3)
- Our family is called to influence and therefore, we will not drink so that our judgment is not impaired. ((Prov 31:4-7)
- I will care for the underdogs! I will teach them to fish, not just feed them. (Prov 31:8-9)
- I am a capable, intelligent & virtuous woman. I am more precious than rubies and pearls. (Prov 31:10)
- My husband confidently trusts, relies, & believes in me. I have no lack. I comfort, encourage & do him only good – until I pass from this earth! (Prov 31:11-12)
- I work hard. I am not lazy when it comes to caring for my family. I prepare for their meals. (Prov 31:13-14)
- I rise early. J First thing, I bring my family spiritual nourishment. I assign each member of my family (and worker) tasks. (Prov 31:15)
- I am a good steward of what God has given me. I have the mind of Christ and wisdom from the Lord and I use it in every business & financial decision. I don’t ignore my most important responsibilities. (Prov 31:16)
- I encourage myself in the Lord and in Truth so I can be Spiritual minded rather than carnal minded. I am physically fit. My arms are strong and firm so that I have the life to carry out what God has called me to. (Prov 31:17)
- The work of God in me I acknowledge and remember when hard times press around me. God’s light continues to shine in trials of all kinds. (Prov 31:18)
- I work hard. I feed others who are poor in Spirit. (Prov 31:19-20)
- I have skills that benefit my family (like sewing, designing, etc. God will equip me with whatever skills I need). I dress as if I am an ambassador of Jesus Christ! (Prov 31:21-22)
- My husband is known in the city’s gates (in the nation’s gates). He consults with the elders of all the lands – pastors, teachers, business leaders and the like. (Prov 31:23)
- I write Bible studies, books, videos, skits, games and fun things to help Christ followers know who they are in Christ. I build up leaders, in my and future generations, to be a leader in their own circle. (Prov 31:24)
- Strength and dignity are my clothing. My position is strong and secure. I rejoice over the future! My family is ready for it! (Prov 31:25)
- My mouth is filled with Godly wisdom and my tongue is kind. I give counsel and instruction. (Prov 31:26)
- I refuse to be idle! I am not discontent. I don’t pity myself. I refuse to gossip. I look well to how things go in my home. (Prov 31:27)
- My children will call me blessed. My daughter’s hearts toward me are always pure.
- My husband boasts about and praises me. He thinks I am the cream of the crop. J (Prov 31:28-29)
- I fear the Lord. I worship the Lord. I am in awe of You Lord! (Prov 31:30)
- What I sow, I will reap. My works will show the fruit of the Spirit – hopefully, not the fruit of my flesh! (Prov 31:31)